Elmina Castle was erected by Portuguese in 1482 as São Jorge da Mina (St. George of the Mine) Castle, also known simply as Mina or Feitoria da Mina. It is in present-day Elmina, Ghana. The the fort and an accompanying church were completed by the Portuguese despite fierce and sustained resistance from the Africans already living in Elmina. Once completed, the castle was the first trading post built on the Gulf of Guinea, and so is the oldest European building in existence below the Sahara.View Source
© 2024 Pixel Fable. All rights reserved.